Organization: EU-Roma National Association
Title of the project: Together for Strengthening Local Democracy
Project no: HU/03/036
Project Term: 01.07.2003 – 28.02.2004.
The grant amount: 4 000 USD
Presentation of the organization: the association was founded in 2000. It started raising projects in 2003. In the meantime, they worked together with the Professional Association of Roma Leaders and Roma Local Minority Self-governments in the region.
The project objectives are to strengthen Roma advocacy in local communities, provide examples of successful initiatives and give advice, increase tolerance between ethnicities, involve local Roma communities in public life.
- organize good practice-visiting (across the border (Hungary-Romania) to promote successful initiatives,
- needs assessment within the Roma communities in Romania – based on a SWOT-analysis – for educational, cultural, employment and community developing programs,
- establish NGOs to ensure self-supporting within the local communities,
- initiate dialogue among the local Roma communities and municipalities,
- implement trainings for the members of NGOs in needs assessment, community development, proposal writing, PR, and essentials of law,
- organize cultural events on both sides of the border.